Friday, January 2, 2015

Falling Short


    Like many other moms, I have a tendency to put to many burdens on my shoulders. Sometimes I put so much on myself, that I feel like I'm going to collapse from the weight. There is a constant voice in my head that is never quite, going over all of the things that I haven't gotten done. I have also always been very critical and have had unrealistic expectations of myself. I constantly feel that I fall short of who I want to be and the things that I want to accomplish.  This morning was no exception. Once again I was feeling so frustrated that I felt as though my head was going to explode and I was fighting back tears. I decided to take a drive by myself to one of my favorite trail heads, just down the street from my house. As I sat there in my car, I started to think about all the blessings in my life and how much my family means to me. I remembered how my baby's face lights up when he sees me, how Alex runs to me when I pick him up from school, how Aaron always seeks the comfort of my lap when he isn't feeling well, and the love that radiates from the eyes of my husband when I smile at him. In these quite moments of thought, it occurred to me, that it doesn't matter how many short comings I see in myself.  Through the eyes of my husband and children, I am enough and I do enough. I have decided that my goal for this New Year to no longer dwell on my shortcomings, but try to see myself through the eyes of my children. I want to learn to truly love myself for who I am.

    I just wanted to share this with you. Just in case you feel as though you aren't enough or that you feel that you do not do enough. That list of tasks can wait. You are enough and you do enough. Try to focus on seeing yourself through the eyes of the people who love you, they see the you that you might be blind to.  


No comments:

Post a Comment